Want to join Heaton Harriers?
Joining a running club can at first be a daunting thought! Being part of a running club can be an exhilarating and rewarding experience and a fantastic social avenue. Here at Heaton Harriers we make it our mission to be as welcoming, inclusive and open as we possibly can be to runners of all abilities. Our aim is to not only improve our running and fitness but to enjoy what we do, to support each other in our endeavours and maintain a friendly and helpful atmosphere .
Do you have a junior section?
Where and when do you meet?
Heaton Harriers meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Club sessions typically start at our club base at the Newcastle University Cochrane Park Sports Ground, but please check the training plan to see if sessions may start elsewhere. The session starts at 7pm prompt.
Newcastle University Cochrane Park Sports Ground, Etherstone Avenue,
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE7 7JX
How fit to I have to be to come and train with Heaton Harriers?
We generally say you should be able to run 5 miles before you can come and train with us. It does not matter how fast or slow you can run those 5 miles, but we will generally cover that distance in an average training session.
Training schedule and pace groups
How much is it to join?
All prospective members can try free taster sessions before we ask them to become members.
Club membership for a calendar year (i.e. for the year, or part of, ending 31st December 2022) is:
• £23 for young people aged under 21 or students in full time education (club vest not included);
• £48 for new (or repeat) members and includes a free club vest for first time members.
The club will pay your England Athletics athlete registration fee. Our club is run by our members for our members. See below regarding a discount for prompt renewal in subsequent year(s).
How do I join?
• download and complete the Heaton Harriers Membership Application Form (opens pdf document) then either:
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org attaching an image (scan or photo) of your completed form. You will then be sent an email with a link to pay online (a transaction fee payable to the payment system provider will be added);
- forward with payment (no cash in the post please) to the address stated.
I am currently a member of another club and have recently moved to the area – can I come and train with you?
Yes we have a number of members who have joined us from other clubs after moving to the area.
If you wish to change clubs then there is a set procedure to follow. You have to resign from your club, complete the online Change of First Claim Club by logging in to your athlete portal: www.englandathletics.org/myprofile using your own URN (England Athletics Number) and password. If you have forgotten your password, you can use the request function found under the password box. Follow the instructions on screen.
How much are renewal club membership fees?
Renewal (first claim) club membership fees for 2022 are:
• £23 for young people under age 21 or students in full time education;
• £38 for renewals by the end of January;
• £48 for renewals during February and March.
Following renewal the club will pay your £16 (2022) England Athletics athlete registration fee.
Renewal second claim club membership fees for 2022 are:
• £23.00 for renewals by end of January;
• £33.00 for renewals in February/March.
Can I join as a Social Member?
Yes! Social membership is a great way for people to be a part of Heaton Harriers. With Social membership you’ll be able to take part in any of our social events and benefit from discounted member rates for club organised travel.